ITIL 4 Foundation Examination
ITIL® Foundation is the beginner level certification that explains the key ITIL concepts, processes and practices used in ITIL® 4 lifecycle. An individual needs to take the ITIL 4 Foundation Examination to get the certification.
ITIL® 4 Foundation Examination helps to:
- Understand the ITIL® terminology, structure and the fundamentals required to improve business productivity and reliability.
- Define the key principles and models describing the 4 Ps (People, Processes, Products and Partners) for Service Management
- Provide a common understanding of the ITIL® Framework
- Learn how ITIL® is used to enhance IT Service Management
This ITIL® Foundation Examination need to be taken by individuals who require basic knowledge of ITIL® framework, IT professionals, CIO’s, IT Service Manager, IT Directors and Managers, Business Managers, Service support engineers, Technical support engineers and Business Process Owners before proceeding for ITIL® certifications.
ITIL® Foundation Examination will test the basic knowledge of ITIL best practices.
There is no prerequisite required to take this examination. ITIL Foundation Certification does not expire over time.
ITIL® Examination can be taken by an individual online using desktops, laptops, tablets and mobile devices from anywhere in the world, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
- Question Type: Multiple-Choice
- Number of Questions: 40 Questions
- Passing Criteria: 26/40 Questions need to be answered correctly to pass exam – 65%(No Penalty for wrong answers)
- Mark: 1 mark for each question
- Duration: 60 Minutes (Students taking exam in a language not their native or working language awarded with 25% extra time i.e. 75 minutes in total.)
- Examination Type: Close Book
The ITIL Foundation Examination questions are Objective Test Questions (OTQs).
Each question consists of four possible answers. The user need to choose the best possible answer for each question.
There are four question styles used within this OTQ type:
1. Standard Question e.g. What is a Service?
2. Missing word e.g. Keep it ____________ and practical
3. List the correct items (Two) e.g. Which Statement is correct? 1,2,3,4 A: 1 & 2 B: 3 & 4 etc.,
4. Negative Standard (This type is used rarely in the examination) e.g. Which is NOT a type of change?
Questions Types and Examples:
Example Type 1: Standard Question:
1. What is the definition of utility?
- A tangible or intangible deliverable that is produced by carrying out an activity
- The assurance that a product or service will meet agreed requirements
- A possible event that could cause harm or loss or make it more difficult to achieve objectives
- The functionality offered by a product or service to meet a particular need
Answer: The functionality offered by a product or service to meet a particular need
Example Type 2: List the correct items:
Which of the following are problem control activities? 1. Performing trend analysis of incident records 2. Pre-assessing the status of known errors that have not been resolved 3. Prioritizing problems for analysis based on the risk 4. Finding and documenting a workaround for future incidents when a problem cannot be resolved quickly
- 1 and 2
- 1 and 3
- 2 and 3
- 3 and 4
Answer: 3 and 4
Example Type 3: Missing Type:
_____________ITIL concept describes governance.
- The seven guiding principles
- The four dimensions of service management
- The service value chain
- The service value system
Answer: The service value system
Example Type 4: Negative Standard:
Which of the following is NOT an activity of supplier management?
- Contract negotiation and agreement.
- To deliver and manage IT services at agreed levels to business users.
- Service operation.
- To ensure service levels are met and breaches of agreements are avoided.
Answer: Contract negotiation and agreement.